My idea is...

Update cast firmware so its compatible with Google Home.

Update cast firmare so its compatible with Google Home device. Currently you cannot get the Google Home device to cast to your tv because it is incompatible with the current firmware version of cast that you have. The device will say that you have no compatible devices even though they are listed as connected on Google Home app.

79 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Meredith LaScolaMeredith LaScola shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jacob DouthatJacob Douthat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting Google!! Just post a little update to all Google Fiber boxes so we can show off the best "would be" feature of the google home

• Brian WalkerBrian Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could always buy Amazon Echo, go back to DirecTV and buy a chrome cast device but why would a loyal Google customer like me do all that when all we need is a firmware update?

• Alberta ForbesAlberta Forbes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please update the firmware-my 77 year-old mom really could use the assistance with finding things on tv

• ReidmorReidmor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, please update firmware on Fiber boxes to work with Google Home.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK Google: Are you, by implication, telling us to ditch Google Fiber because you are pulling out of that market?

• BarryBarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe having Google Home integrated with Google Fiber would be a huge plus.
        Like to see that and also like to see it work with Amazon Echo as well.
        Home Automation is the next big thing for home users, as is the "soon to be" self driving car.

• JPJP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Google. Any updates on this? I echo the sentiments of the other commenters here. We pay monthly, which I hope would grant us somewhat more loyalty and attention than the "one-time" Home and Chromecast buyers. We switched to Google because we were told that we would be offered a better product/service than our prior service. Even some sort of response addressing the issue would be nice. I've purchased a Chromecast audio and am using a 1st gen Chromecast I got way back when Fiber first rolled out trying to supplement the shortcomings in the meantime, although it's far from ideal, as you know. This is a great opportunity for Google to prove that they're truly better than the previous television companies we left for them.

• Chad HimeChad Hime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, this is brutal. How can I show your hardware off in my house when I have to apologize for perhaps the coolest feature? I mean my note 5 can do the rest. Please don't let apple get a leg up. Right click if you agree.

Why try and have Google as your primary service if we are not first to have the advantages. Very disappointed.

Please simply update the firmware. It's silly that I pay high dollar for the "best of the best" in google fiber internet/TV and it doesn't work with your new google home product. Your customers demand integrated products. Google has always seemed to follow this rule, but dropped the ball big time with integrating Google Home and Google Fiber. Very disappointed.

• Don GlasscockDon Glasscock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the list of those who were very disappointed after buying a Google Home for my family for Christmas only to find I can't use it with my existing Google Fiber boxes. I would think it would be a high priority for customers to update the firmware.

• ChristineChristine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be just wonderful! It frustrates me that Google products are not compatible with each other. Being told to just go out and buy three Chromecast when I have them built in to the TV box is just silly.

• Jim Van ItenJim Van Iten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fiber TV tech support says they are not compatible at this time. Very frustrating that Google Home device doesn't work with fiber TV. What's the point for owning the device or having their service.

• Chris HChris H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really frustrating that using "cutting edge" google services like Google Fiber aren't compatible with the rest of the google "smart home" platform. There's also very little information out there for people who have new Google Homes and are trying to set it up with their Fiber box.

Also, tech support currently has no information about ANY functionality between Google Fiber, Google Home and Chromecast. Ver very odd.

• Stu MoraschStu Morasch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So basically the only way to cast something from my Google Home to my TV is to buy a Chromecast, plug it into my TV(next to where the Fiber TV Box is plugged in), then press "input" on my remote to change from Fiber TV to Chromecast, then I can tell Google Home to stream something(but nothing relating to Fiber TV obviously because I'm using the Chromecast)? And if I want this "feature" on all my TVs I'll have to buy a Chromecast for each television, installing it right next to each Google Fiber TV Box?

Seems expensive, redundant, feature lacking and not very well thought out. I choose to buy and use a lot of Google products/services because the products, platforms, and services work pretty seamless together. This is one of those very few, yet very large, disconnects.

There's an opportunity for what I think would be an absolutely amazing feature: If I could walk into my house and say "Hey Google, play The Walking Dead on Living Room TV", or "stream Tune-In" or "go to channel 4" and I'd only have to turn power on to the TV(wouldn't even have to do that with the advances in smart home technologies), that'd be pretty amazing.

This is a huge missed opportunity, so far, and it's frustrating. It makes me wonder about Google's commitment to Google Fiber/Fiber TV. I have no doubt this oversight wouldn't have happened if Google Fiber were nation-wide. This is a pretty bad look.

But I have faith. I love everything about Google and have used the products/services for years and will continue to do so, and this is the first major gaffe I can remember. Definitely, the first one I've felt inclined to bring attention to. End rant.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base