My idea is...

Make Google Fiber equipment interoperable with Google WiFi mesh networking

The WiFi radios on the network box are not strong enough to cover a typical house. This is painfully obvious from all the reports that pop-up on the forums. Making the network and TV boxes interoperable with the new OnHub/Google Wifi mesh network service would be a great solution. Even better, would be making the network box a proper OnHub so it could benefit from the development occurring with that product.

Also, it would be great to sell Fiber customers Google Wifi APs at a discounted price so that they could effectively use the bandwidth they're receiving.

47 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen DStephen D shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AstroAstro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I went ahead and added Google Wifi due to the poor built in Fiber wifi performance using the double NAT method. Wifi performance is now great, but I've lost the ability to use the built in Chromecast or the Google Fiber phone app. What a shame that Google products don't work well together. Disappointing.

• ZachZach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I just bought google WiFi since the network box wouldn't reach across the house. Google WiFi has quite a bit more functionality but it would be nice to be able to control my google fiber TV though the app...etc.

Even though the TV boxes can be used as an AP, I don't want to have a reason to buy more TVs to get more TV boxes.

• John RuhlmanJohn Ruhlman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! The wifi portion of Google Fiber is pretty awful. I don't know one person who has a decent sized home that is satisfied.

• Michael MMichael M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wholeheartedly concur. I just bought the 3-pack of Google WiFi and now am discovering that it's incompatible? What's going on here?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was ready to buy the 3 pack of Google Wifi until I found out it isn't really compatible with the Google network box.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, I have Google Fiber but I am looking for a way to extend my wifi range

Feedback and Knowledge Base