(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

kccustomkccustom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CarlCarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was created and received almost 2 years ago. When is this going to be possible. Not being able to use our own routers is ridiculous. Get with it, or, explicitly tell us it is not going to happen.

• John MiddletonJohn Middleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, like many of the posters here, have a high end, enterprise-grade router at home that provides advanced services for various applications we run at our homes. Google's does not provide these services, nor is it an acceptable workaround to have to move tons of access rules into the GF box.

DMZ mode is half of what is needed for us to be able to use our routers if a full pass-through mode isn't available. We need to be able to let our own routers inherit the public WAN DHCP IP given by Google Fiber in order to create a seamless pass-through.

What do we have to do to help get this going?

• Nicholas AronneNicholas Aronne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This limitation is very unGoogle, as it isn't an Open (Source) environment. It is 2017 and technologies should be allowed to easily play with one another.

Security should be a top priority, but, If I the customer am willing to support my own stack and network, my provider shouldn't put limitations in place.

After speaking with the Google Fiber Business team and reading this support article (https://goo.gl/nOaV7X). It is clear that it is a SW limitation, nothing on the HW or Google Fiber Box side which is restricting hooking up any brand router.

Flexibility and solid service is what most customers are looking for.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never had an ISP force me to use their router, nor have I had an ISP that could offer specific support for a router, but tech support generally could help a little. I could see what google is afraid of, their tech support barely has enough knowledge over OT to trouble shoot the thing they call a network box, asking them to learn more would be a mistake.

• Ryan ManningRyan Manning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen asap! What a nightmare trying to setup simple to mildly technical passthroughs and access rules with GF box. The GF box flat-out sucks.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a support nightmare for ISP's letting everyone under the sun use their own network hardware.

• TiffanyTiffany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, omg please!!!

I jumped through the hoops and have my own hardware working without the Google Fiber Network Box, but it was a pain and fairly technical.

• Greg BeecroftGreg Beecroft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1, I've invested in some nice hardware of my own too and would love to use my router directly (I know it is possible with some tinkering and a managed switch/manipulating vlans/priority bits etc).

Alternatively, at the very least give us an option on the GFNB for a "passthrough" or "gateway" mode that just passes things along to our own routers/switches.

• Dennis WilsonDennis Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After being installed today was frustrated to learn the Network Box cannot be bridged. Means double NAT when using my own router.

I've invested into some significant small/home office network gear, but it all has to sit behind the GFNB. The resulting performance is not even close to 1Gb.

• LothsahnLothsahn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With DMZ, the following two things are missing:
        1) The option to disable DHCP would be amazing. That way, you could have your router set to bridged mode (instead of routed) and coordinate everything through it. The GFNB would still be the main gateway into the house--and run the TV boxes and such, but for all practical purposes, with DMZ and no DHCP, your router/server could handle everything else.

2) Support and instructions for how to configure dhcpv6 with prefix delegation on your own router.

• Rick HornsbyRick Hornsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 This has been a request for 2 years. There's a huge thread over in the product forums about this topic. It is possible with the v1 hardware, but requires enough knowledge/expertise that it isn't for the faint of heart. It would be nice it were a first class option to remove the GFNB from the stack.

If you have v1 hardware, might check out this post - http://flyovercountry.org/2014/02/google-fiber-gigabit-speeds-your-router-part-1-vlans/

Feedback and Knowledge Base