My idea is...

PLEASE don't take away our ability to add media to the Storage Box

I know that, being Google, you are in the habit of taking decisions out of the hands of your users because, obviously, you know better than us simpletons. But this is different. This isn't some free service you're putzing around with like YouTube. We pay for this. You can't just take away the functionality of everyone's Storage Boxes just because we can't easily stop you. It's wrong and just shows once again the low opinion all sections of Google have for their own users/customers.

172 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler StarkTyler Stark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SørenSøren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I agree with everyone that it was a nice feature, it's not *such* a big deal that it was removed, since every box is a ChromeCast. I just cast the videos onto the TV to watch them — whether they're stored on the box or not.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the reason is really simple..... the new google "box" is a smaller more compact cheaper version of the 1st one. The simply was not space for a second HD..... ironically the second gen box was developed to fix several problem with the original box. I am super disappointed in the removal of the this feature but at the end of the day google doesn't give two shadubies about your satisfaction so long as the checks keep coming.

I have to agree with everyone above. This is a crazy feature to remove. We just got fiber installed last week. I just put some home movies on the drive, and got on the internet to find out how to play it on the tv, since I couldn't figure it out with the remote. And now I'm finding that it WAS possible, but not anymore. Such a strange choice to remove this feature. How do we go about getting this feature returned? Does anyone read these comments?

Google, you removed services but jacked the price? How does that work exactly? Can I do it with my boss?

I strongly suggest you add back the app that was removed for viewing home movies and pics on the hard drive. I was very disappointed when it was removed. I have a lot of content on the hard drive that I would like to view on the TV.

• Sean DoughertySean Dougherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We utilized the personal media access on a daily basis. I would say easily 50% of my usage was thru the TV to my media. So as most here are saying, Higher price for less product. A puzzling business move by Google.

• Matt SmithMatt Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring it back! I'm now being charged more money, for less services. Without these types of features, I will be moving back to a less costly cable system that's just as fast, in terms of real world usage.

• Scott EndsleyScott Endsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was extremely disappointed to learn this feature had gone away by the time you finally got service in my area.

• Troy AndersonTroy Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the personal video option on our TV boxes. This feature was very widely used in our house. It allowed my son to watch some of my digital movie library without me putting him on my PC to watch them. This was a very great feature and you say you removed it because users didn't like it? I find it hard to believe there was enough users that prompted you about this to remove it all together. This is very unsatisfactory and i love your service you guys provide. This though to me is not a great thing to do to your customers. Please bring back the personal video option...

• Fred ColemanFred Coleman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to view my videos on my fiber box again! We uploaded all of our kids videos from dance recitals and gymnastics competition to the storage box so we could easily view them on a big screen and show family! Why did you take this away???

• parkerparker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, are you also changing your name to Time Warner? **** like this "upgrade" makes it hard to tell how Google is better.

Fix the access to personal media you removed in the new version. I can save money with AT&T to buy something so I can stream my media again

Hopefully they rethink the personal video issue.. Support said they took it away because people didn't use it. Obviously that is not the case.

• Rob MRob M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked customer support whether this change was the result of a technical issue or a business decision. Their response: "If there is some technical reason behind the change, we at the customer support desk haven't been told. The software development team devised the system and the changes for the upgrade, but we don't get much more information save for what these changes are. I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer."

I then asked when an alternative method to play personal media would be made available. Their response: “As of this time, there is no information about when an alternative solution will be available for Personal Media or even how that may work.”

I'm disappointed in the lack of communication between the different departments at Google. And the email from "Jon Li, Product Manager" announcing this change was especially galling: "One of the great parts of my job is finding new ways to make our TV experience better. Which is why I’m excited about our latest Fiber TV upgrade..." Here's an idea: if you want to make our TV experience better, don't take away features that users rely on.

I would encourage anyone who wants some version of this feature restored to keep this thread alive.

I have plenty of storage on my own hard drives. The only advantage of the media on the Storage Box was the ability to play straight to the television.

Make the storage box accessable through the tv boxes again! Cloud storage is a joke!

• Alan WidnerAlan Widner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

get your **** together google. Raise our rates and take away one of the major selling points of your service? no thanks. you used to be cool google. it might be time to netflix and chill on my roku and ditch your depleted service.

Philip from support. Your comment and threat to disable altogether are totally unacceptable especially since access to Google Drive is so slow.

Phillip from support: "At this time you're still able to store media on your drive, but that will be taking up space for your DVR and it's possible that the ability to store personal media on your Network Box might be disabled at some point in the future"

Are you effing kidding me?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base